I don’t know why, but I enjoy watching grocery haul and batch cooking videos on YouTube, especially large ones. Large families fascinate me: partial jealousy, partial admiration. I enjoy peering into their lives, seeing a small slice of the logistics of having a large family. The difference in food prices is interesting to me. I get ideas for recipes, tips for preparation, and motivation.
Part of the reason I like these videos is because I myself like cooking for my family and I think I would get a sense of pride out of making a huge meal (either due to a holiday or large family) and having it be enjoyed. But, alas, my family is small. And my kids seem to be a touch picky, as kids are.
The grocery haul
I did not buy a lot. I went to Costco fairly recently and stocked up on a lot of things. Besides, I once again planned my meals around what I already have. (This has been done before!)
- Apple juice boxes – $1.99 + $0.80 bottle deposit
- My kids don’t drink a lot of juice at my house. But I send a juice box with my oldest every Friday with his school lunch. My province charges 10 cents for numerous types of beverage containers.
- Maple syrup – $7.99
- I normally buy my maple syrup at Costco, but I forgot to get a new bottle. My kids eat waffles most days before school.
- Tomato sauce – $0.79
- Canned mushrooms – $1.19
- Whole grain dijon mustard – $2.29
- Ranch dressing – 2/$3.50
- My kids eat a lot of raw vegetables with “white sauce”.
- Wowbutter – $3.99
- My oldest’s school is nut and peanut-free. This is a soy-based peanut butter-type product.
- Plain Greek yogurt – $3.99
- Gallon of 2% milk – $5.69
- Whipping cream – $2.29
- 3lb carrots – $1.49
- Bananas – $2.25
- English cucumber – $1.69
- Grand total: $39.94 CDN
How are food prices where you are? Is this comparable?
- Pork chops, mashed potatoes, vegetables
- Beef & barley soup
- Butter chicken, except I am going to modify it and use seitan instead of chicken.
- For the rest of the week, I plan on serving leftovers that I have frozen in the freezer.
For school lunches I plan on doing:
- Wowbutter and jam sandwich
- Ham and cheese wrap
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Cinnamon roll protein muffins
- Brownie batter bites
Do you have anything new on your meal plan this week?